Well guys, I have joined my fellow dads who have had the infamous procedure know as a “Vasectomy”. I originally had my appointment scheduled last month but postponed it because we had second thoughts. As you know, we are a blended family. Two older kids from my spouses previous marriage and two we had together. One in 2016 and one in 2018, both girls. After realizing that both of the littles are healthy and have been a joy to raise so far, it was time to shut the baby making down. Not to mention, as you get older, pregnancy can be risky for both the mother and baby.
Statically, its a lot safe for men to have this procedure then women to have their tubes tied. Since I live in the US and insurance sucks here, unfortunately I had to pay for my birth control. If you live in Canada or Europe, there is no charge to control the population. So for those who are thinking of getting this procedure done, then keep reading to gain some perspective on a fellow dad who just recently had one.
For starters, I hate going to the doctor, I hate pain, blood and all that. Call me names, I don’t care, I can be honest here. So the thought of a doctor cutting open my most private area scared me. Luckily, my spouse was very supportive and loves that stuff so she broke it down to me. I personally wanted to be knocked out for it. The procedure itself takes no more then 30 minutes. As they prepped me, I kept thinking in my head (am I doing the right thing, what happens if I want another one?). Then the scene from The Office popped in my head. The one where Michael is explaining to Jan that he had 3 vasectomy’s. That made me laugh and I am like, no way can I do a reversal and then do it again. Also, there was always that chance if we had another child, mom, baby or both could have complications. That just wasn’t something I wanted to risk with my family. I was happy with what I was given, 4 healthy kids. I knew from other guys and looking up online that the anesthesia would be the worst because its a needle that needs to go in there. So yes, I can admit, the only slight pain of the whole procedure was that. I think I was talking to my doctor for about 10-15 minutes before I knew he was already doing the procedure. I thought the anesthesia had to kick in for at least 5-10 minutes. Nope, whatever they used was like instant and ready to go. I didn’t feel any cut, snip, nothing. It did how ever smell a little when they cauterized the wound but nothing major. Each side maybe took 12 minutes or so, then he stitched me up and I was ready to go.
- Make sure you shave the area. I normally manscape, so for me it was just a tiddy up job. For those that go natural, you better get to work otherwise they will do it for you (PS, not sure who likes a jungle down there)
- Bring the right gear. I read a lot of experience from other guys who got the procedure done and most brought boxer briefs or a jock strap. Maybe I am stupid, but no way was I going to walk around with a jock and cup like when I had for baseball. Nope, apparently its called an “Athletic Supporter”. So if you don’t have this, get it before your appointment as this definitely helps keep it together for the next 48 hours (this was also annoying to wear as its so supportive and tight)
- If you can, have someone drive you. Or take an Uber. Your safe to drive but your lower region will be sore as hell and may distract you enough to not drive safe
- Ice, Ice and more ice. Follow what they say, 20 mins on, 10 mins off
- Stay off your feet for the rest of the day. Do not do anything. Don’t even life up your kid. I am one who hates sitting around and this was tough so my appointment was late in the day to avoid being antsy to do stuff. As they say, Netflix and Chill
- Motrin or ibuprofen. I was told 600mg, its better to stay ahead of the pain then to be in pain
- Keep the area clean, and try and change the gauge the first couple days at least twice to avoid infection from sweat, bacteria etc
I’m sure by now, you have already read online what to expect and all during this, but really its not all that bad. Try not to psych yourself out of this (if you are squeamish, do not look this procedure up on YouTube, trust me) Even if your like me and hate going to doctors, bring your phone and listen to music or play a game or read on it, give your self a distraction and you will be good to go. It’s a little less then 30 minutes. Just think, no more birth control, no more condoms or pills, patches or a ring. Once cleared, its open season.
It says you can resume sexual activity a few days later, but you have to go back in 2-3 months to get the all clear to make sure all the sperms are done. Ive looked this up and most articles and research says a good 6-20 ejaculations should clear out any remaining sperms.
In conclusion, make sure you are doing it for the right reason. If you know you and your spouse are done with having kids, there is really no reason not to do this. Its safer for men to do this and just think, you or your spouse can say bye bye to all other birth controls. All I can say is follow these tips, listen to what they say to do if they give you any extra instructions and you will be fine. Comment and let me know if you have any questions, or if you have had one done or getting it soon.